These chocolate cupcakes are ace for a sweet fix. I admit I’ve got into a bad habit of making them and then, ahem, eating the lot, but in the big scheme of things it’s really ok because they’re 1.5 syns each without the choc shot topping or 2 syns with. The key with this recipe is to over whisk the eggs. They need to be super firm to make it work, see more info in the method below.
Makes 6 cupcakes. Just under 1.5 syns per cupcake without choc shot, or 2 syns per cupcake with choc shot.
3 eggs, separated
3 tablespoons low calorie sweetener, I used Sukrin Gold (1.5 syns)
2 teaspoons chocolate essence
25g self raising flour (4 syns)
1 level tablespoon cocoa powder (2.5 syns)
Quarter tsp instant coffee
2-3 tablespoons water
Choc shot to decorate (0.5 per tsp)
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees (for fan assisted, adjust for other oven types as appropriate).
2. Place the egg yolks, sweetener, chocolate essence, coffee powder and 1 tbsp water into a mixing bowl and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl whisk your eggs until they form very stiff peaks. If in doubt, keep going. They need to be very, very stiff peaks!
4. Go back to your other bowl and sift in your cocoa and flour. Mix well, add an extra tablespoon or two of water so that it’s not too dry looking.
5. Gently fold in your stiff peaked egg whites to the chocolate mixture, keeping as much air in as possible.
6. Distribute into 6 cupcake cases in a muffin tin.
7. Bake for 15-18 minutes, do not open the door during this time else they will drop.
8. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before decorating with a drizzle of choc shot if you wish, but they’re lovely on their own too.