Cheesy Eggplant Gnocchi Caprese is made with diced eggplant simmered in a garlicky tomato sauce with gnocchi, spinach, melted bites of fresh mozzarella and fresh basil. So good!
YIELD:4 SERVINGSCOURSE:DinnerCUISINE:ItalianCheesy Eggplant Gnocchi Caprese is made with diced eggplant simmered in a garlicky tomato sauce with gnocchi, spinach, melted bites of fresh mozzarella and fresh basil.
- 16 oz package Delallo gnocchi, or gluten-free gnocchi
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ large onion or 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lb eggplant, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 5- ounce container baby spinach
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 28- oz can San Marzano Style crushed tomatoes
- 6 leaves fresh basil
- 6 oz small mozzarella cheese balls
- Bring water to a boil, cook gnocchi according to package directions and drain.
- Meanwhile, set a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the oil.
- When the oil is warm, add the onion, eggplant and salt to the pan and saute for about 3 minutes, or until it begins to soften, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Gradually add the spinach, stirring until it wilts. Once it’s all in the pan, saute for 1 to 2 minutes, or until it cooks down.
- Push it to one side of the pan with your spoon and add the tomato paste, stirring until it smells lightly caramelized and toasty.
- Pour in the can of tomatoes and decrease the heat to medium.
- Cover the pan and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the eggplant is tender.
- Add the cooked gnocchi, place the mozzarella on top, cover the pan and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until the mozzarella is melty.
- Garnish with torn fresh basil and serve.
Serving: 11/2 cups, Calories: 436kcal, Carbohydrates: 66g, Protein: 15g, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 30mg, Sodium: 900mg, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 5gBlue Smart Points:11Green Smart Points:11Purple Smart Points:11KEYWORDS:caprese recipe, eggplant and gnocchi, gnocchi recipe