- 1 pound 85 % lean ground beef (I used grass-fed)
- 4 medium green bell peppers (5 oz each after prepping)
- 8 oz sliced button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped (2 oz)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 slices Provolone cheese (4 oz)
- salt and pepper to season
- Cut tops off of the peppers and remove remaining seeds pith. Place in a microwave safe baking dish, cover with cling film and cook for 3-4 minutes, depending on your microwave. Remove film and using tongs, pour out any accumulated water from the peppers.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place rack to the middle position.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan over medium heat. When hot, add oil and swirl to coat the pan. Stir in the mushrooms to coat in oil and let cook in a single layer for 2-3 minutes. Add the onion and stir, cooking until they turn translucent and the mushrooms have cooked (2-3 minutes more). Remove the mixture from the pan.
- Add the ground beef to the pan, breaking it up while cooking. When cooked through, add the mushroom mixture back to the pan and season with enough salt until it tastes good to you. Add a generous amount of pepper (1/4 teaspoon or more to your taste).
- Lightly season the peppers with salt and pepper. Place 1 slice of cheese in the bottom of each pepper and evenly divide the ground beef stuffing among them.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Top with the remaining cheese and pop under the broiler to melt and brown. Serves 4 as a meal with one pepper each. 7 net carbs each.
Calories: 420kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 28g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 912mg | Fiber: 3g