This Italian Sausage Bread is stuffed with meaty, cheesy goodness and eats like a sandwich!
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 ¼ teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried minced onion
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seed
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb uncooked 99% lean ground turkey breast
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 13.8 oz can Pillsbury Classic Pizza Crust dough
- 6 oz shredded 2% Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- In a mixing bowl, combine the parsley, 1 teaspoon of the Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder, minced onion, fennel seed, paprika, and crushed red pepper flakes and stir to make an Italian sausage seasoning mix. Add the ground turkey and stir with a fork (or mush with clean hands) to blend the spices evenly into the ground turkey to make turkey sausage.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Drizzle the olive oil in a large skillet or saute pan and bring to med-high heat. Add the turkey sausage mixture from step 1 and cook, breaking up into small chunks, for 4-5 minutes until cooked through. Transfer the cooked sausage to a mixing bowl and stir in the chopped spinach. Let the sausage cool for 5 minutes while you complete the next step.
- Open the can of pizza dough and unroll into a rectangle onto a piece of parchment paper. You’ll want your dough to be about 9”x14” (does not need to be exact), so you can lightly roll the edges out a bit with a rolling pin if necessary. Sprinkle 2 ounces of the shredded Mozzarella across the surface of the dough, leaving about an inch border all the way around.
- Add the remaining 4 ounces of Mozzarella to the sausage and spinach in the mixing bowl and stir to combine. Spread this mixture across the surface of the dough, again leaving a one-inch border around the edges. Starting at the longer end, roll up the dough over the contents until entirely rolled (similar to stromboli or a cinnamon roll). Press the edges together and tuck under to seal the sides. Move the roll to the center of the parchment paper, making sure the seam side if down and transfer the parchment paper to a baking sheet.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the outside of the roll with the beaten egg (you will not use the whole egg). In a small dish, stir together the Parmesan cheese, garlic salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon of Italian seasoning. Sprinkle this mixture over the top of the roll while it is wet from the egg. Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing into 6 pieces.
Nutrition Information per slice:346 calories, 34 g carbs, 4 g sugars, 9 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 32 g protein, 1 g fiber, 742 mg sodium (from myfitnesspal.com)MYWW SMARTPOINTS PER slice: (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)Green: 9 SmartPoints/ Blue: 8 SmartPoints/ Purple: 8 SmartPointsWeight Watchers Points Plus:9 per slice (PP calculated using a Weight Watchers PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below)