Flavorful keto empanadas are made with Fathead dough and a tasty ground beef filling. They taste amazing!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/2 lb. lean ground beef(85/15)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (4 oz)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part skim mozzarella cheese (6 oz)
- 1 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 3/4 cup blanched finely ground almond flour (3 oz)
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and onion and cook, stirring to break down the beef into small pieces, until beef is no longer red, about 4 minutes. Drain.
- Return the drained beef mixture to the skillet. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and smoked paprika. Cook, stirring, 1 more minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make the Fathead dough, place the mozzarella in a medium microwave safe bowl. Place the cubed cream cheese on top. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir with a rubber spatula, then microwave for 30 more seconds. Stir again, then mix in the almond flour as best as you can – dough won’t come together yet. Add the egg and mix well with the spatula, then use you hands to work the batter into smooth, elastic, slightly sticky dough.
- Place the Fathead dough between two parchment sheets, as shown in the video, and roll to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut as many 3.5-inch circles as you can, using a cookie cutter or a wine glass. Re-roll the scraps and cut more circles. You should be able to get about 12 circles.
- Place the dough circles on the prepared baking sheet. Place a heaping tablespoon of the beef mixture on one half of each circle, leaving a 1/2-inch border, then fold the dough over to make a half-circle and pinch the edges closed.
- Bake the empanadas for 10 minutes. Carefully turn them over, and bake 8-10 minutes longer, until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving (2 empanadas)Calories 293 Calories from Fat 198% Daily Value*Fat 22g34%Saturated Fat 7g 44% Sodium 378mg16% Carbohydrates 6g2% Fiber 2g8% Sugar 2g2% Protein 18g36%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.