Lightened up, warm blueberry scones right out of the oven make the perfect Sunday morning breakfast along with a hot cup of tea.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup frozen butter, half stick
- 3/4 cups 1% buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, if frozen, thaw first
- Preheat the oven to 400F°.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
- Using the large holes of a cheese grater, grate the frozen butter into the flour. Mix well with flour.
- In a medium bowl, mix the buttermilk, egg and vanilla.
- Using a fork, slowly stir in the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, until all the mixture is moistened.
- Do not over work the dough. Fold in the blueberries.
- Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper. Drop large spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet (to avoid tough scones, do not press or compact).
- Bake in the center rack 18 minutes. Remove and let them cool about 5 minutes before eating.
Serving: 1scone, Calories: 216kcal, Carbohydrates: 33.5g, Protein: 5g, Fat: 6.5g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 43mg, Sodium: 335mg, Fiber: 0.5g, Sugar: 9.5gBlue Smart Points:7Green Smart Points:8Purple Smart Points:7Points +:6