1️⃣ Slice up the squash an hour before you’re going to make this. I like to let it sit on paper towel salted to draw the liquid out. They fry up so nice!
2️⃣ Make the batter! Mix 1 cup self-rising flour with about 3/4 cup seltzer or sparking water. Add salt & pepper to taste. I also added a little bit of onion and garlic powder!
3️⃣ Dip the sliced squash in the batter and fry in grape seed oil or air fry at 350 degrees for 10 min.
For the donuts:
- 2 medium red apples*
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Vegetable oil (or other high heat neutral oil), for frying
For the glaze:
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
For the cinnamon sugar topping:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon