This classic pumpkin roll recipe is made lighter than traditional recipes with a delicious pumpkin spiced sponge cake and a light cream cheese filling.
PUMPKIN ROLL, LIGHTENED UP
888SP198 CaloriesPREP TIME: 20 minsCOOK TIME: 15 minsCHILL TIME:1 hrTOTAL TIME: 1 hr 35 minsYIELD: 13SERVINGSCOURSE: DessertCUISINE: AmericanThis classic pumpkin roll recipe is made lighter than traditional recipes with a delicious pumpkin spiced sponge cake and a light cream cheese filling.
For the cake:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- non-stick spray, I used Smart Balance
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, to sprinkle on towel
For the filling:
- 6 oz light cream cheese, at room temperature (NOT fat free)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 6 oz fat free Fage Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- powdered sugar, optional for topping
- Preheat oven to 375°F and place oven rack in the center of the oven. Spray a 15 x 10 inch baking pan with non-stick spray, line it with parchment paper, then spray a little more non-stick spray and lightly flour the parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, allspice, and salt into a large bowl.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together in your electric mixer or hand mixer. Beat on high speed for five minutes, or until thick, pale yellow, and fluffy. (When you slowly raise the beaters the batter will fall back into the bowl in slow ribbons.)
- Beat in the vanilla extract and pumpkin puree.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in the sifted flour mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, evenly spreading the cake batter with a spatula or knife.
- Bake about 13 – 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake, when lightly pressed, springs back.
- Sprinkle a clean dish towel with confectioners’ sugar.
- Immediately upon removing the cake from the oven invert the pumpkin roll onto the clean dish towel. Carefully remove the parchment paper from the bottom of the cake and sprinkle lightly with confectioners sugar; roll the pumpkin roll up with the towel, while it is still hot and pliable. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Beat the cream cheese, yogurt, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat until smooth; fold in the walnuts.
- Refrigerate at least one hour.
- Unroll the pumpkin roll, spread with the filling, and re-roll. Transfer to your serving platter; cover and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. (You can serve this cake immediately but chilling it overnight sets the filling and makes it easier to slice.)
- Just before serving, lightly dust with powdered sugar.
Adapted from Joy of BakingServing: 3/4″ slice, Calories: 198kcal, Carbohydrates: 42.5g, Protein: 5g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 0.5g, Cholesterol: 42mg, Sodium: 134mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 21gBlue Smart Points: 8Green Smart Points:8Purple Smart Points: 8Points +: 5KEYWORDS: how to make a pumpkin roll, pumpkin cake, pumpkin desserts, pumpkin roll, pumpkin roll recipe