5 Blue 6Green 3Purple SP
These spinach and quinoa patties are delicious, vegetarian and packed with protein and nutrients! They almost make me think I’m eating a chicken cutlet or meatball, without the meat.
These Spinach and Quinoa Patties make enough for several meals which makes them perfect for meal prep. I had one topped with a poached egg for breakfast which was super yummy. The rest I served as a main course for dinner with a big avocado salad and felt quite satisfied. I can’t help thinking how good this would be with melted cheese on top in place of a burger to make it more of a veggie-quinoa burger.
Another bonus, these quinoa patties are inexpensive to make, and can be adapted for gluten-free diets.
The recipe was adapted from Heidi Swanson’s cookbook Super Natural Every Day (affil link). Her original recipe calls for kale, but since I made them on a whim, all I had was spinach and that worked out just fine. My (meat-loving) husband even thought they were great.
- Swap the spinach for kale
- Make them dairy free by swapping the Parmesan cheese for nutritional yeast.
- If you prefer to bake them, Bake in a preheated oven 375 for 8 to 10 minutes on each side.
QUINOA AND SPINACH PATTIES
563SP 236 CaloriesPREP TIME:5 minsCOOK TIME:55 minsTOTAL TIME:1 hrYIELD:7 SERVINGSCOURSE:Dinner, LunchCUISINE:AmericanThese quinoa patties are delicious, vegetarian and packed with protein and nutrients!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese*
- 3 large scallions, sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup steamed spinach, chopped (frozen is fine)
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs, for GF, be sure to use GF breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly and place the grains in a medium sauce pan with 2 cups of water. Bring the water to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook until quinoa is tender and has absorbed the liquid, about 20 minutes. Let it cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, eggs, Parmesan, scallions, garlic, salt, steamed spinach, and breadcrumbs. Let everything sit for a few minutes to absorb the liquid. The batter should be moist, but not runny. Form patties 1/4 cup each.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. In 2 or 3 batches, cook the patties covered for 8-10 minutes on each side, or until browned and golden.
Adapted from Heidi Swanson’s Super Natural Every Day*use vegan Parmesan if making vegetarianServing: 2patties, Calories: 236kcal, Carbohydrates: 30.5g, Protein: 11.5g, Fat: 7.5g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 110mg, Sodium: 429.5mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 2gBlue Smart Points:5Green Smart Points:6Purple Smart Points:3Points +:6KEYWORDS:quinoa and spinach patties, quinoa patties, quinoa patties recipe, quinoa patty recipe, vegetarian quinoa patties