Strawberry Biscuits Save RecipePrintMakes 12Ingredients
- 3½ cups self-rising flour*
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¾ cup cold whole buttermilk
- ½ cup mashed strawberries
- 1 large egg, beaten Turbinado sugar
- Strawberry jam and sweetened whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour and granulated sugar. Using two forks or a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in cold buttermilk and strawberries until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Pat dough into a rectangle, and cut into fourths. Stack each fourth on top of each other, and pat down into a rectangle again. Repeat process 3 more times.
- Pat or roll dough 1 inch thick. Using a 2½-inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut dough without twisting cutter, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place biscuits 2 inches apart on prepared pan. Freeze until cold, about 10 minutes. Brush with egg; sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve with jam and whipped cream, if desired.