There is never a dull moment with Slimming World, and the variety of food we can eat while staying on plan always inspires me. I saw a couscous cake while browsing on Pinterest recently and thought – this is a free food on slimming world, there must be a way to make this low syn! So, I’ve made a fresh and tasty version adding Lemon, Blueberry and Poppy Seeds and using low syn and free ingredients. Enjoy enjoy a few with a cuppa and still have syns left over for the day.
If you are dubious, worry not – sweet couscous is not what we are used to in the UK and Ireland but it’s quite normal for some cultures. You’ll soon be won over by the gorgeous aromas filling your house, it smells exactly like a blueberry muffin.
In terms of texture, I was pleasantly surprised – there is no graininess to it so long as it is cooked to the instructions and mixxed well with other ingredients. Definitely something I’ll do again.
Note: Since this is not the intended use of couscous, it is considered a “tweak”. To account for this we add a further syn per slice, bringing the syn value to 1.5 syns per slice.
8 ServingsPrep Time: 10
Cook Time: 30 Min
Ready In: 40Min
- 100g couscous, cooked as per instructions
- 3 medium eggs
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Half tbsp poppy seeds (1 syn)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp sweetener (1.5 syns)
- 2-3 tbsp Fat Free Greek Yoghurt/Quark
- 100g Frozen Blueberries (2 syns)
- Preheat the oven to 190 C.
- Cook the couscous as per instructions. Add lemon juice and leave to cool
- Whisk the eggs, and add the cinnamon, yoghurt and sweetener
- Add the poppy seeds and cooled cous cous and mix well
- Line a cake tray with parchment paper or spray with a non-fat cooking spray
- Pour gently into the tray, and place blueberries evenly into the mixture
- Cook for 25-30 minutes
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing into 8