Pizza Sausage Rolls wrapped in bagel dough with Italian chicken sausage, marinara and mozzarella make a fun appetizer or snack your whole family will love.
PREP TIME:20minutes mins
COOK TIME:30minutes mins
TOTAL TIME:50minutes mins
YIELD: 4 servings
For bagel dough:
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting ((5 oz in weight) use cup4cup for GF*)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt ((should be thick) I recommend Stonyfield)
- 1 egg white (beaten (whole egg works fine too))
- sesame seeds (for topping (optional))
- 2 raw chicken Italian sausage links (3 oz total (halved lengthwise) I like Premio)
- 4 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 8 teaspoons pizza sauce or marinara
- marinara sauce (for serving (optional))
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place parchment paper or a silpat on a baking sheet. If using parchment paper, spray with oil to avoid sticking.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well.
- Add the yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined (it will be sticky and look like small crumbles).
- Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a few times until dough is tacky, but not sticky, about 15 turns (it should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away). If it’s too sticky, add a few extra sprinkles of flour.
- Divide in 4 equal balls.
- Working with 1 ball at a time, lightly dust a rolling pin and a work surface and roll dough into a 5 ½” circle, about ¼” thick.
- Spread 2 teaspoons pizza sauce down the middle of the circle, leaving about 1/2” border.
- Lay 1 slice of cheese in the middle of the circle then top with 1/2 sausage link.
- Carefully bring both sides of the dough up, wrap one side around the sausage then the other.
- Press dough together so it’s sealed around the sausage and place it on the prepared sheet pan seam side-down.
- Repeat with remaining dough, sauce, cheese and sausage.
- Brush each with egg wash, top with sesame seeds, if using, and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then slice into 6 pieces and serve.
*I have not tested these with GF flour, but I have made the bagels with cup4cup and had great success so I am sure it will work. You may have to add 5 more minutes to the bake time.
Serving: 1roll, Calories: 302kcal, Carbohydrates: 30g, Protein: 22g, Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g, Cholesterol: 51mg, Sodium: 957mg, Fiber: 1.5g, Sugar: 4g
– WW Points: 8