- 2 lbs. Laura’s Lean 96% ground beef
- 8 oz. dry elbow macaroni (I use Barilla Plus elbows or whole wheat)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves or 1 Tbsp, minced
- 2 (15 oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 1 can (16 oz.) dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced fire roasted green chilies
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced petite tomatoes, undrained
- 1 and 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat cheese ( I use Velveeta shreds)
- Green onions, fat free sour cream or plain yogurt, or additional cheese for garnish
- Fill a large 5-quart Dutch oven or stockpot with water and cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set pasta aside.
- Return pot to stove on medium-high heat. Spray the Dutch oven or stockpot with non stick cooking spray. Add the ground beef and cook for about 5 minutes, breaking up the meat with a spatula. Once meat is cooked, drain excessive liquid, if needed.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook onions and garlic until onions are soft.
- Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, green chilies, kidney beans, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer, occasionally stirring. Cook for about 15 minutes.
- Combine the cooked pasta and cheese to the meat and beans. Cook for another minute or until well combined and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with your favorite toppings such as: fat free sour cream, sliced onions, or additional cheese.
Makes 8 servings and 5-8 points each