Nutrition Information: Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 388TOTAL FAT: 14gSATURATED FAT: 6gCHOLESTEROL: 30mgSODIUM: 486mgCARBOHYDRATES: 51gNET CARBOHYDRATES: 49gFIBER: 2gSUGAR: 1gPROTEIN: 16g
PREP TIME15 minutes
COOK TIME30 minutes
TOTAL TIME45 minutes
- 16 oz. rotini pasta-you can use gluten-free pasta to make it gluten-free or whole grain pasta
- 6 slices center cut bacon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp light butter- I use Land O’ Lakes light butter made with canola oil
- 2 Tbsp all purpose or gluten-free flour
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 and 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or skim milk
- 8 oz. light cream cheese, softened, and if using block light cream cheese-cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese blend, divided
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced jalapeños or green chiles
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 1 fresh jalapeño, deseeded and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick pan until bacon is crispy and golden brown.
- While the bacon is cooking, cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain and set aside.
- Crumble bacon and set aside. Discard grease.
- Add onion to the same pan or another large skillet and cook until soft.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute, then add butter to pan. When butter has melted, sprinkle flour into pan to make a roux.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth and your choice of milk.
- Add light cream cheese and stir until melted. Add diced jalapeños. Cook until sauce begins to thicken, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese.
- Pour cooked pasta into prepared casserole dish, layer with cooked chicken, and then pour cheese sauce over the top. Stir until well combined.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and dispose the foil.
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese, crumbled bacon, and sliced jalapeños and bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.