- 1 cup shredded part skim low moisture mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- Add the mozzarella to a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave for about 1 minute. Stir until cheese is completely melted. If needed, heat for an additional 30 seconds or until cheese is completely melted.
- Allow the mozzarella to cool for 1 minute, so that it will not cook the egg. You don’t want to cool the cheese too long though because it needs to stay melted.
- Add in egg yolk and stir and mix into the cheese, until you have a uniform yellow dough.
- Place your dough on a flat surface lined with parchment paper. Place another parchment paper on top of the dough.
- Use a rolling pin over the top piece of parchment paper, and roll dough until it is 1/8 inch thick.
- Remove the top piece of parchment and cut the dough into ½ inch wide strips. Refrigerate the pasta for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, bring a pot of water to boil. Do not add salt to the water. Add in pasta. Cook for about 40 seconds to 1 minute. Be careful not to cook too long, otherwise the pasta will lose its form, break down and become a melted cheese mess.
- Remove pasta from pot and run under cold water to cool it down. Gently separate strands sticking together. Allow pasta to cool until it is only slightly warm to the touch. When the pasta cools, it will firm back up, so that it is no longer just melty cheese and it will taste more like pasta rather than just cheese sticks. Serve with your favorite pasta sauce.
calories: 358kcal, carbohydrates: 3g, protein: 33g, fat: 22g, saturated fat: 12g, cholesterol: 258mg, sodium: 770mg, potassium: 163mg, sugar: 1g, vitamin a: 815iu, calcium: 912mg, iron: 1.1mg, net carbs: 3g