Homemade Apple Dumplings
Homemade Apple Dumplings – These apple dumplings are delicious and so easy to make. The homemade dough is easy to make, the recipe comes together fast, the results are wonderful.Prep Time20 minsCook Time35 minsTotal Time55 minsCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanKeyword: #apples, #dessert, #easy, appledumplingsServings: 6Author: Mary Bostow
Report this ad
- Sauce Ingredients
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbls butter
- 2 cups all flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup Crisco shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 small Macintosh or Gala Apples about 3 inches in diameter Peeled and cored. Do not cut in half I used Gala, leave them whole.
- Make the sauce first so it has time to cool down.
- Make the dough and refrigerate it until you have peeled and cored your apples.
- I put all the sauce ingredients together in a medium saucepan. When it comes to a boil, I let it boil a minute or two to thicken a little bit.
For the dough
- Place the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Cut the shortening into the flour mixture with a pastry blender. Add milk all at once. Stir with a fork until the dough just forms a ball. Place in the refrigerator until you have peeled and cored the apples.
- Peel and core the apples. You can keep the apples from turning brown by placing them in cold water while you work.
- I divide the dough into six equal portions and roll them out on a lightly floured surface individually. You can also roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface long enough to fit 6 apples on it and cut the dough into six squares.
- Place the apples on a dough square, fill the center with butter, sprinkle sugar over top then sprinkle cinnamon over top.
- Mold the dough around the apple, making sure there are no opening for the filling to escape from. Place the apples in a 13×9 inch baking pan. Spacing them about an inch apart. Pour the sauce over the dumplings , then sprinkle with sugar. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 35 minutes. Spoon the sauce on the bottom of the pan over the apple dumplings after they come out of the oven.