The best recipe for smooth and delicious cheesecake!
There really isn’t much difference between a “normal” cheesecake and this Keto cheesecake. The only thing we need to replace is the sweetener to make it sugar free, and the crust to make it gluten free. Mission accomplished!
I really wanted to make a keto cheesecake that was super thick and creamy, but didn’t have to use a water bath or any weird ingredients.
In my opinion, cheesecake should be pure and decadent with only the essential ingredients…cream cheese, sweetener, eggs, vanilla, and sour cream.
The crust is delicious, but not the most important thing. You could even make this sugar free cheesecake without the crust! The most important thing when making a crustless cheesecake is to grease the pan thoroughly, and/or line the bottom with parchment paper. The bake time will be the same as if using a crust.
The crust I used is a mixture of almond flour, cinnamon, sweetener, and butter. I pressed it in with a measuring cup.
You could pre-bake your crust if you want, but I find it un-neccesary. Refrigerating it for 20 minutes will suffice.
How to make the best low carb cheesecake
The most important thing you should know when it comes to making cheesecake is that all of your ingredients should be at room temperature. Anything that is refrigerated should be left out for at least 2 hours, preferably 4. That means eggs, sour cream, and cream cheese.
Submerging your eggs in warm water will help speed up the process, as will unwrapping and chopping your cream cheese into smaller pieces.
Some other tips for the best keto cheesecake:
- Use a powdered sweetener for a smooth batter
- Beat the cream cheese at a low to medium speed and add in the sweetener a little at a time
- After the sweetener is incorporated, incorporate the eggs one at a time
- Save the sour cream and vanilla for last and beat them in until they are just incorporated
BAKING THE CHEESECAKE
Now we have made it to the fun part…the baking. This is fun but also tricky because you don’t want to overcook your keto cheesecake.
A crack in a cheesecake means it has overcooked.
I cook my cheesecake in the center of the oven at 325F. I check it after 50 minutes. You want the center of the cheesecake to still be jiggly.
After it is ready, I turn the oven off, crack the door, and leave it to cool in the oven for 30 minutes. Then, remove it from the oven, run a sharp paring knife around the edges of the cheesecake to loosen it from the pan sides. Let sit on the counter for 1 hour. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
MY LOW CARB CHEESECAKE HAS A CRACK NOW WHAT?
Now you are free to decorate the top! The cheesecake will still be just as good. I used fresh sliced strawberries and I sprinkled them with granulated sweetener.
HOW TO FREEZE SUGAR FREE CHEESECAKE
This is a large keto cheesecake but good news, it freezes very well! You can freeze individual slices or the whole cake…or half of the cake!
To freeze individual slices, simply slice the pieces of cheesecake and place them on individual pieces of plastic wrap. Wrap them tight, place in a freezer bag or bowl, and store them in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. Any longer than 2 weeks and they will lose quality.
CAN I MAKE THE GLUTEN FREE CRUST NUT FREE?
If you are intolerant to nuts, you can simply make this a crustless cheesecake (instruction in the recipe card) or you can use sunflower seed flour in place of the almond flour. They are a 1 for 1 swap for each other so it will work perfectly.
Into keto treats? Check these out:
No Bake Keto Cheesecake Fluff – All of the flavor of this decadent cheesecake, without all of the trouble!
Keto Pralines – These are buttery little treats filled with pecans. Sprinkle a little salt on top and you are in salty sweet heaven!
Keto Chocolate Mousse – 10 minutes is all you need for this decadent treat…also only 4 ingredients!
Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies – Over 80 5 star reviews can’t be wrong…these really are the best and they only need one bowl!
Keto Chocolate Cake – another easy dessert…this chocolate cake is good for snacking or turning it into a layer cake for a birthday!
Keto Brownies – another one bowl treat…can you tell I love chocolate?
The Best Keto Cheesecake
This really is the best low carb and keto cheesecake recipe. Even my non-keto family proclaimed “This is the best cheesecake I have ever had!”4.95 from 90 votes PRINT RECIPE PIN RECIPECourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanKeyword: keto cheesecake recipe, low carb cheesecake Prep Time: 20 minutesCook Time: 50 minutessetting time: 8 hoursTotal Time: 1 hour 10 minutes Servings: 12 Calories: 600kcal Author: Jennifer Banz
For the crust
- 1 1/2 Cups almond flour (click here to see my favorite brand)
- 1/4 Cup Powdered Sweetener (Clicke here to see my favorite)
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons Butter, melted
For the filling
- 6 Packages 8 ounces full fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 Cups Powdered Sweetener (Clicke here to see my favorite)
- 5 Large Eggs room temperature
- 8 Ounces Sour Cream room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 325F. Adjust the rack to the middle of the oven. Combine the crust dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix in the butter. Pour the crust mixture into a 10 inch x 4 inch springform pan and press halfway up the sides using your fingers. Use a flat bottomed cup to press the mixture into the bottom. Refrigerate the crust for 20 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the room temperature cream cheese with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. If you use a stand mixer use the paddle attachment.
- Add in the sweetener a little at a time (about 1/3) and beat with the hand mixer.
- Add in the room temperature eggs one at a time and beat until well incorporated.
- Finally, add in the vanilla and room temperature sour cream and beat until just incorporated.
- Pour the cheesecake mixture into the crust and even out the top. Bake in the pre-heated oven. Check after 50 minutes. The top should no longer be glossy and the center should still be jiggly.
- Turn off the oven and crack the door. Let the cheesecake sit in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove the cheesecake from the oven run a sharp paring knife between the cheesecake and the pan (this is to ensure the cake doesn’t stick. Do not remove the springform). Let sit on the counter for 1 hour.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Remove the springform pan sides, decorate the top, and serve. Makes 12 slices.
- NUT FREE VERSION: If you are intolerant to almonds, you can do a 1 for 1 swap with sunflower seed flour!
- PAN SIZE: This keto cheesecake recipe requires a large springform pan. I have linked to one in the recipe carb above. If you use one that is too small, you will have leftover filling.
- CRUSTLESS LOW CARB CHEESECAKE: To make this without a crust, line the inside of the springform pan with parchment paper. You can also butter the sides and bottom really well. Then continue with the cheesecake as normal.
- KETO PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE: Simply replace the sour cream with pumpkin puree and add in 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.
- VERY IMPORTANT: The most important thing you should know when it comes to making cheesecake is that all of your ingredients should be at room temperature. Anything that is refrigerated should be left out for at least 2 hours, preferably 4. That means eggs, sour cream, and cream cheese. Submerging your eggs in warm water will help speed up the process of bringing the ingredients to room temperature, as will unwrapping and chopping your cream cheese into smaller pieces.
- FREEZING: This is a large keto cheesecake but good news, it freezes very well! You can freeze individual slices or the whole cake…or half of the cake!
- This is a good reference for freezing a whole cheesecake
- To freeze individual slices, simply slice the pieces of cheesecake and place them on individual pieces of plastic wrap. Wrap them tight, place in a freezer bag or bowl, and store them in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. Any longer than 2 weeks and they will lose quality.