- 1 (15.25 ounce) package red velvet cake mix
- 2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (between 120° to 130° – just warm to touch)
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the rolls: In a large bowl, combine cake mix, 1 cup flour and yeast. Add the warm water and beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Mix in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough and so that when it’s mixed it starts to pull away from the side of the bowl (I used an additional 1 3/4 cups). Knead with a stand mixer or by hand about 1 minute. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours.
- After dough has risen place dough on a lightly floured surface; punch down dough and roll dough into an 18×10-inch rectangle with a rolling pin.
- In a small bowll, mix brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside. Brush dough with softened butter and sprinkle with brown sugar mixture.
- Starting with the long side, roll up the dough jelly roll style. Cut into 12 slices and place in a greased 13×9-inch baking dish. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise until doubled, about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake rolls 15-20 minutes or until rolls puff up and just start to brown.
- For the Frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix slowly until combined. Beat until fluffy.
- Spread frosting over warm rolls.
Source: adapted from Taste of Home. Added more cinnamon and used my own frosting recipe.author:CHRISTY DENNEYcourse: BREAKFAST, DESSERTcuisine: AMERICANkeyword: RED VELVET CAKE MIX CINNAMON ROLLS, RED VELVET CINNAMON ROLL RECIPE, RED VELVET CINNAMON ROLLS