These Salted Caramel Shortbread Squares are simply amazing. With a buttery crust and a beautifully swirled topping of caramel and chocolate dusted with sea salt, they look like a treat from a fancy bakery.Course: candy, Dessert, SnackCuisine: AmericanServings: 16 squaresCalories: 300 kcalAuthor: TarynIngredientsCrust Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 5 tbsp cold butter cut into pieces
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup Trim Healthy Mama Gentle Sweet or my sweetener
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup sugar-free chocolate chips melted
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Line the bottom of a 9 inch square cake pan with parchment paper.
- Mix the crust ingredients in a food processor until the dough comes together. Press into the bottom of the prepared cake pan. Bake for 16-20 minutes at 350 degrees until golden brown. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine the sweetener, cream, and butter in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium, stirring frequently, until deep golden brown and thickened. Depending on the heat of your stovetop this can take 10-15 minutes. Watch it carefully. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour the caramel over the cooled crust. Put dollops of the melted chocolate ever inch or two. Use a butter knife to gently swirl them together. Sprinkle with the sea salt.
- Store at room temperature for 2-3 days. You can refrigerate for longer storage but the caramel will firm up.