Ingredients for Chimichangas:
- ¾ cup onions
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- ¾ cup salsa, I used Pace chunky salsa (mild spice)
- ¾ cup light Mexican blend cheese or cheddar cheese, shredded
- ⅓ cup corn, fresh or frozen (thawed if frozen)
- 2 tablespoons skinny ranch dressing, fat-free sour cream or fat-free Greek plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 Mission 100% whole wheat flour tortillas, see shopping tips
- Cooking spray, I used olive oil spray
Ingredients for Toppings:
- 3 tablespoons Skinny Ranch Dressing fat-free sour cream or fat-free Greek plain yogurt
- Chopped or shredded lettuce
- Tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup reduced-fat cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a baking pan with cooking spray.
- Add onions to a small, microwave-safe dish. Cook onions for 1 minute, to soften.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cooked onions, chicken, salsa, cheese, corn, ranch or sour cream, and cumin.
- Heat each tortilla in microwave for 10 seconds to soften. Heat 1 at a time. Once heated, place a little over ½ cup of chicken mixture in center of each tortilla and spread out a bit. Wrap like a burrito, folding opposite sides (ends) to close. Repeat for each by first heating tortilla in microwave, then adding filling and folding up.
- Place each, seam-side down on a baking pan. Spray top of each with cooking spray. Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove each from baking pan using a spatula.
- To Garnish: Top each chimichangas with ½ tablespoon skinny ranch dressing or sour cream, a little shredded lettuce, salsa, chopped tomatoes and 1 tablespoon cheese.
- Makes 4 servings
- Food Facts
- A chimichangas is typically prepared by filling a flour tortilla with a wide range of ingredients, most commonly rice, cheese, machaca (dried meat), carne adobada (marinated meat), or shredded chicken, and folding it into a rectangular package. It is then deep-fried and can be accompanied with salsa, guacamole, sour cream, and/or cheese.