These Roasted Sweet Potato and Chipotle Black Bean Bowls are a filling vegetarian lunch or dinner, perfect for meal prep.
PREP TIME:15minutes mins
COOK TIME:30minutes mins
REST TIME FOR KALE:30minutes mins
TOTAL TIME:1hour hr 15minutes mins
FOR THE KALE:
- 2 cups de-stemmed and chopped kale
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
FOR THE ROASTED SWEET POTATOES:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and quartered lengthwise (28 oz peeled))
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
FOR THE CREAMY CHIPOTLE SAUCE:
- 1 cup plain 0% Greek yogurt (or dairy-free yogurt for vegan or DF)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled)
- Kosher salt
FOR THE BOWLS:
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 ounces avocado (from 1 small pitted, peeled, and diced)
- 1 cup Quick-Pickled Red Onions
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime (sliced into wedges)
Prepare the kale:
- Place the kale, olive oil, and salt in a bowl. Massage the kale for 1 minute. It will shrink in volume.
- Let sit at room temperature while making the rest.
Prepare the sweet potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F with a rack placed in the center of the oven.
- While the oven preheats, place the peeled and quartered sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil the sweet potatoes just until the edges give a bit to pressure from a fork, about 8 minutes. You don’t want to overcook them, or they could turn mushy.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and pat dry with a paper towel then cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt, chili powder, chipotle powder, cumin, coriander, and garlic powder.
- Sprinkle the spice blend onto the sweet potatoes and toss to evenly coat.
- Scatter the sweet potatoes on a sheet pan and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until browned and fork-tender.
Make the creamy chipotle sauce:
- Place the yogurt, chipotle pepper, lime juice, garlic cloves, and a pinch of salt in a blender or small food processor. Blend or process until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt. Set aside until ready to assemble the bowls, or store in the refrigerator.
Assemble the bowls:
- Fill serving bowls with the kale, roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, brown rice, and avocado.
- Garnish with the pickled red onions, creamy chipotle sauce, and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
Serving: 1bowl, Calories: 585kcal, Carbohydrates: 96g, Protein: 20g, Fat: 15.5g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 1.5mg, Sodium: 695mg, Fiber: 21g, Sugar: 13.5g
– WW Points: 11