Nothing beats fresh baked cookies right out of the oven! The sweet aroma that feels your home is heart warming. These inviting cookies are first rolled in powdered sugar and while baking they crack a little, producing a decorative “pillowy” look. They’re a mixture of textures, soft inside but with a surprising crunch of Rice Krispies. The potent butterscotch flavor comes from combining butter with rich dark brown sugar. To make these skinny, I’ve replaced the butter with reduced-fat. One small cookie now has 40 calories, 1 gram of fat and 1 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 12 minutes
½ cup reduced-fat butter
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ cups plus 1 tablespoon unbleached all purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup Rice Krispies
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar for coating
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or coat with non-stick spray.
2. Using an electric mixer or hand mixer, cream together the butter, oil, and brown sugar. Add the egg, vanilla and mix until smooth. Mix in the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Fold in the Rice Krispies.
4. Place the batter in the freezer for 25-30 minutes until firm, for easier handling. Be sure to set the timer so you don’t forget about it!
5. Place the powdered sugar in a small bowl. Scoop the cookies into teaspoon sizes and roll into balls. Roll them in powdered sugar to coat. Place each on the cookie sheet and flatted slightly with a fork.
6. Bake for 12 minutes. If baking 2 pans at the same time, rotate the pans halfway through baking to ensure even baking.
7. Cool cookies and store in an airtight container or plastic bag. They will keep for a few days.
Makes 64 small cookies
Dark brown sugar makes these butterscotch flavored cookies much richer. If you don’t have any you can use golden brown sugar.
Parchment paper is available in most supermarkets in the plastic wrap and foil aisle. It’s packaged the same.
Weight Watchers (old points) 1
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 1
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 cookie|
40 cal, 1g fat, 0g protein, 7g carbs, 0g fiber, 42g sodium, 4g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for one cookie|
51 cal, 2g fat, 1g protein, 8g carbs, 0g fiber, 48g sodium, 5g sugar