This made from scratch Basic Vanilla Cake recipe is one that must be added to your repertoire. It’s light, tender, and full of vanilla flavor. The buttery, moist texture makes it a great cake for all occasions.
WHY THIS BASIC VANILLA CAKE RECIPE WORKS
- This easy vanilla cake recipe uses the 1-2-3-4 method which is from the 19th century. It’s an easy method to remember the ratio of ingredients. 1 cup of butter, 2 cups of sugar, 3 cups of flour, and 4 eggs.
- I adjusted these quantities slightly to achieve the texture I was looking for. I used half a cup less sugar and a fourth cup less flour. This gave me a lighter cake that isn’t overly sweet.
- Cake flour is used for a fine crumb and delicate cake texture.
- Butter: Unsalted butter that is softened to room temperature will cream perfectly with the sugar.
- Sugar: Granulated white sugar is what works best.
- Eggs: I use 4 whole eggs in my cake recipes.
- Vanilla: Look for high-quality vanilla to use. I prefer Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla or I’ll make homemade vanilla extract.
- Flour: Bob’s Red Mill Super Fine Cake Flour is the best and will ensure the cake has the best texture.
- Leavener: Baking powder is used to give the cake rise.
- Salt: Salt helps to balance the sweetness.
- Milk: Whole milk works best but you can also use buttermilk.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE VANILLA CAKE
Making a cake at home is incredibly easy! This recipe uses the creaming method to emulsify the ingredients. This also incorporates air to give the cake a light and fluffy texture.