For the Meatballs:
- 1 pound lean ground turkey or lean ground beef (choose a low-fat option)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (reduced-fat, if available)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
For the Stuffed Mushrooms:
- 16-20 medium-sized mushrooms (such as white or cremini)
- 1 cup marinara sauce (choose a low-sugar, low-point option)
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil or parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Clean the mushrooms and remove their stems. Carefully scoop out a bit of the center of each mushroom to create a small cavity for the meatballs.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey or beef, whole wheat breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, chopped onion, chopped fresh parsley, egg, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Form the mixture into small meatballs, about 1 inch in diameter.
- Place a meatball inside each mushroom cap.
- Arrange the stuffed mushrooms on the prepared baking sheet.
- Spoon a small amount of marinara sauce over each stuffed mushroom, and sprinkle a little shredded mozzarella cheese on top of each one.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through and the mushrooms are tender.
- If desired, garnish with fresh basil or parsley before serving.