20 mins prep + 4 hrs cook
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 280kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 867mg | Potassium: 267mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2021IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 108mg | Iron: 1mg
- 1 pound ground hot Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 4 diced russet potato
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 pinch black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- water, see recipe instructions
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese, for topping (optional)
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown and crumble hot Italian sausage, about 5-8 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until some of the onion begins to turn translucent (no need to cook onion completely at this point). Drain grease from skillet.1 pound ground hot Italian sausage,1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic,1 chopped yellow onion
- In a crock pot, add cooked sausage & veggies plus the diced potato. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour chicken broth on top. There should be enough broth to cover the tops of the potatoes; if there isn’t, add up to 2 cups water so potatoes are covered.4 diced russet potato,1 pinch salt,1 pinch black pepper,4 cups chicken broth,water
- Gently stir ingredients, cover crock pot, and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Remove lid from crock pot and add kale and heavy whipping cream, then stir to combine.1 bunch kale,3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cover crock pot and cook on HIGH for another 30 minutes.
- Serve zuppa toscana immediately with shredded parmesan cheese as garnish.