- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter cold, cut into about 8 pieces
- ½ cup low-fat buttermilk cold
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour for rolling
- Preheat oven to 450º F
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to mix well.
- In the flour mixture, add the cold butter pieces. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until pea sized chunks form. Don’t over blend.
- Form a well in the middle of the flour mixture, and add in buttermilk.
- Mix in the buttermilk using the pastry cutter, then knead approximately 5 times, just until the flour mixture is moistened. Don’t over-mix.
- Prepare a flat surface by flouring lightly.
- On the floured surface, turn out the dough and using a rolling pin, roll out to a 6 inch by 8 inch by ½ inch thick rectangle.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 12 equal sized sections.
- On an ungreased cookie sheet, arrange the dough pieces.
- In preheated oven, bake approximately 10 to 12 minutes, or until the tops of the biscuits are golden brown.
The key to the perfect biscuit is to not over-work the dough. There should be small chunks of butter in the dough.
Serving Size: 1 Biscuit
2 WW Points
Calories: 67kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 2gFat: 0.4gSaturated Fat: 0.2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.1gMonounsaturated Fat: 0.1gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 170mgPotassium: 39mgFiber: 0.4gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 13IUVitamin C: 0.1mgCalcium: 49mgIron: 1mg