- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half & half cream *I used the light 5%
- 1.5 cups reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Prep the vegetables, cutting both the cauliflower and broccoli into small pieces.
- In a large dutch oven or pot, add butter and place over medium-high heat. When the butter has melted, add in garlic & onion, Sauté for 5 minutes stirring often.
- Stir in the flour, then slowly stir in the broth. Next add in the cream, chopped cauliflower, and broccoli, salt, black pepper, onion powder, and oregano. Cook over medium heat for about 25 minutes until broccoli and cauliflower are tender.
- Stir in the cheese and reduce heat to low, cooking for another 10 minutes.
- You can use an immersion blender or add the soup in sections to a regular blender and blend until creamy. The recipe makes approximately 11 cups.
Nutritional info per serving *1 cup..Calories 145…Fat 7g…Sat fat 3.3g…Carbs 7.9g… Fiber 1.7g…Sugar 2.8g…Protein 9.6g