It’s about that season. Started off strong with minestrone soup with all the vegetables -Spinach, potatoes, tomatos, bokchoy, green beans, carrots and celery.
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 medium ribs celery chopped
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 cups chopped (potatoes yellow squash, green beans
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large can 28 ounces diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 4 cups 32 ounces vegetable broth I used the better than bullion concentrate
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch of red pepper flakes I used a Anaheim chili
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup pasta- i used callentali
- 1 can 15 ounces northern beans
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Spray Cooking spray in the pan
- add the chopped onion, carrot, celery, tomato paste and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables have softened and the onions are turning translucent. The tomato paste will also develop a deep red color.
- Add the seasonal vegetables, garlic, oregano and thyme. Cook until fragrant while stirring frequently, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes and their juices, broth and water. Add the salt, bay leaves and chili. Season generously with freshly ground black pepper.
- Raise heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil, then partially cover the pot with the lid, leaving about a 1” gap for steam to escape. Reduce heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer
- Cook for 15 minutes, then remove the lid and add the pasta, beans and greens. Continue simmering, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the the pasta is cooked al dente and the greens are tender. Add lemon juice for acidity.
- garnish with fat free mozzarella cheese!
The only points in this hearty soup is the 1 cup of pasta which is five points. this soup easily makes 8 cups/servings so each serving is technically zero points