- 1.25 pounds ground turkey (93% or 99% lean)
- One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion (1/2 medium)
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- sliced Smoked Gouda or other cheese, optional
- 8 slider-sized Hawaiian rolls, cut in half (or other small rolls)
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray. Heat over medium-high. Add turkey, using a spatula to break it up. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Add tomato sauce and vinegar to the turkey. Continue to simmer over medium-high heat. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch, paprika, cumin, celery salt, garlic powder, and chili powder. Stir the spices into the turkey mixture, and continue to simmer 7 to 10 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced slightly and thickened.
- Spray a small nonstick skillet with nonstick spray. Add onion and cook over medium heat until the onion begins to brown, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of water and continue to cook until onions are softened and water has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir onions and beans into the turkey mixture. Divide the mixture between the slider buns. If topping with cheese, give the bottom buns with meat and cheese piled on top a quick warming under the broiler to melt the cheese. Add bun tops and serve.
- To prepare this recipe as dairy-free, leave off the cheese.
- To prepare this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use a brand of black beans that is known to be GF, and serve the Sloppy Joe mixture over rice, quinoa or a baked potato instead of on a roll.
- WEIGHT WATCHERS Freestyle SmartPoints per slider (using 99% fat-free turkey, a Hawaiian roll and no cheese): 4 points
- If you choose to eat the sloppy joe mixture only, or serve it over zoodles instead of inside a bun– the point count will be ZERO points.