Snowball Cookies are a holiday classic favorite made with just a handful of low carb ingredients. Now you can make them keto style or vegan! They bake up soft, buttery and melt in your mouth delicious. Perfect for Christmas gifts and holiday cookie trays.
This recipe makes 15 servings.
- 1/2 cup unsalted grass-fed butter , softened (can sub with solid ghee OR solid refined coconut oil – you want it to be the consistency of softened butter)
- 2/3 cups powdered monk fruit sweetener OR powdered low carb sweetener of choice – can also sub with powdered coconut sugar for paleo
- 1 2/3 cups superfine blanched almond flour , measured correctly – spoon & sweep method
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- tiny pinch fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened almond milk , only as needed if dough seems dry and does not come together
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans , (can use either a food processor or just hand chop)
- More powdered sweetener , sifted for coating, as needed
- Using a stand mixer, hand mixer or a fork in a large bowl, cream together the butter (ghee OR coconut oil) with powdered sweetener until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla, almond flour and salt and mix until the dough forms a ball. Stir in chopped pecans and mix again until combined. Use your hands to knead the dough until it forms a large dough ball. Add milk only if dough seems dry and does not come together – and alternatively add more almond flour if the dough seems too wet – only a little bit at a time.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll dough into ONE (1) tablespoon sized dough balls. Place on prepared cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Repeat until all the dough is used up. Place baking sheet in freezer for 15 minutes (to avoid spreading). Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 F.
- Bake cookies for 12-14 minutes until bottoms are golden – rotating pans halfway through. Be careful not to over-bake.
- Remove from oven and cool on baking pan for about 3-4 minutes until you can handle them comfortably with your hands.
- Meanwhile, sift 1/2 cup powdered sweetener into a medium bowl. While cookies are still warm, roll them in powdered sweetener. Place cookies on a cooling rack. Once the cookies have cooled completely, you can roll them in powdered sweetener again for an extra layer, if desired.
- Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to one month.