5.0 Stars (2 Reviews)Print
This Easy Lightened Up Tamale Pie Casserole is a hearty casserole that comes together quickly to create an easy family-friendly healthier meal!
This Easy Lightened Up Tamale Pie Casserole is loaded with Laura’s Lean ground beef, seasonings, diced roasted tomatoes, corn, and black beans and then topped with a creamy cornbread. This casserole has all the flavors of tamales in casserole form.
PREP TIME10 minutes
COOK TIME30 minutes
ADDITIONAL TIME10 minutes
TOTAL TIME50 minutes
- 1 lb. 96% Laura’s Lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 (10 oz.) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups frozen corn, thawed
Cornbread Topping Ingredients:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp light butter, melted and cooled
- Garnish with parsley, non fat plain Greek yogurt, diced tomatoes, sliced jalapeños and/or chopped fresh cilantro.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the lean ground beef with onion until ground beef is browned.
- Once ground beef is cooked and onion is soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Cook until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the enchilada sauce, tomatoes, black beans, and corn and let it simmer for about 5 minutes then remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, and baking powder.
- In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, and light butter.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour chili mixture into prepared baking dish and top with cornbread batter.
- Bake for about 28-35 minutes or until cornbread is lightly golden.
- Let it cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7-10 days.
Makes 9 ( 1/9th or about 1 cup ) serving
5 WW Points® per serving