- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- In a large bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until creamy. Add in egg and molasses, and mix well.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and ginger until well blended.
- Stir in crystallized ginger.
- Blend the flour mixture into the butter mixture slowly, mixing well.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator until firm, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Place the remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a shallow dish. Roll the dough into 36 1-inch balls and then roll in the sugar. Place 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies, in batches, until they crackle on top, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 3
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 3 dozen
Serving size is 1 cookie
Each cookie = 2 Points
PER SERVING: 52 calories; 1 g fat; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber