This snowball cookie recipe is a Christmas tradition and my favorite cookie! These melt-in-your-mouth buttery pecan shortbread cookies are baked to perfection and rolled in powdered sugar.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 11
- Total Time: 26 minutes
- Yield: 30-36
- Method: Bake
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup pecans or walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment on medium speed, cream the butter and powdered sugar. Turn the mixer to low and add the salt, vanilla, flour, and pecans. Roll the dough into one-inch balls using a 1-tablespoon scoop. Place on parchment-covered baking sheets a few inches apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until very lightly browned. Do not over-bake
- Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool just enough to handle them. Pour 1 cup powdered sugar into a medium bowl. Gently roll the cookies in the powdered sugar. Use a fork to scoop under each cookie and gently shake to remove excess powdered sugar. Place on cooling racks. Once completely cooled, roll in the powdered sugar again.
- Use real honest-to-goodness butter so they taste yummy. I personally use Land O Lakes butter for all my cookies.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Chop the pecans fairly fine. Remember, you can use different nuts.
- This a thick dough, so roll the cookies with your hands because the warmth of your hands will help shape the cookies.
- Preheat the oven and load the baking sheet in the middle of the oven.
- Use parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- If you have time, do a test run with one or two cookies. It really helps to establish baking time.
- Do not over-bake the cookies. These are a type of shortbread cookies with a crumbly melt-in-your-mouth texture.
- When measuring your flour, spoon the flour into the measuring cup and level it off with a table knife to keep from adding too much flour.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to 5 days.
Serving Size 1 cookie
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 7.2g||9%|
|Total Carbohydrate 13.3g||5%|
|Vitamin A5%Vitamin C0%|