Victoria Sponge Cake In Air Fryer. How to make a moist sponge cake in your air fryer. Easy to make from scratch and mix and match with favourite flavours and a fantastic trip down memory lane to this classic cake treat.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time26 mins
Total Time41 mins
Cuisine: Air Fryer
- Air Fryer
- Hand Mixer
Sponge Cake Ingredients:
- 400 g Self Raising Flour
- 450 g Caster Sugar
- 50 g Lemon Curd
- 200 g Butter room temperature
- 4 Medium Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Essence
- 480 ml Skimmed Milk
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Tbsp Strawberry Jam
Strawberry Buttercream Ingredients:
- 115 g Butter
- 210 g Icing Sugar
- ½ Tsp Strawberry Food Colouring
- 1 Tbsp Single Cream
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 Tsp Maple Syrup
- In a bowl add butter and sugar and using your hand mixer, mix the butter into the sugar.
- Crack eggs into the bowl, add vanilla essence, add extra virgin olive oil, and mix again with your hand mixer.
- Once it is creamy add in lemon curd, flour and milk and mix with a wooden spoon. Don’t use a hand mixer as it will over mix it.
- You want a creamy, but not too thick cake batter. If it is too thick adjust with a little more skimmed milk or water.
- Add a little olive oil spray to your cake pans and then pat with flour to create floured cake pans.
- Add your cake batter evenly among two cake pans. Pat down with the side of a wooden spoon.
- Cook one cake pan at a time in the air fryer. Start with 10 minutes at 180c/360f, followed by a further 16 minutes at 160c/320f.
- Allow your cake to cool and while it cools make your Victoria sponge filling. Using your hand mixer mix the icing sugar into the butter. Add in other ingredients and carry on mixing until you have a creamy buttercream. Fridge while your cakes cool.
- Remove the filling from the fridge. Slice the top off your cake so that it is easy for two cakes to be sandwiched together. Add a layer of strawberry jam, then a layer of cream and then sandwich the cakes together. Fridge for an hour before serving, otherwise the cake will be too difficult to cut.
Skimmed. It is important that you add fat free/skimmed milk rather than full fat. It is thinner and thick milk will stop the cake from being moist.
Cheat. You can cheat and use shop bought box cake and follow our air fryer box cake recipe.
Portions. My hubby loves his cake and slices big cake slices. If you are doing a kid’s birthday party, you could easily get 16 portions out of this cake.
Quality. It does make a big difference in air fryer cakes if you use quality ingredients. I recommend you avoid the cheap supermarket brands of flour. In my Grandma’s day it was always branded flour such as Bero.
Thanks for reading our air fryer sponge cake recipe on Recipe This. We have many more air fryer recipes for you to check out next. Though, our personal recommendation if you have a sweet tooth would be our air fryer chocolate chip cookies or our air fryer apple pie.
Calories: 608kcal | Carbohydrates: 89g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 113mg | Sodium: 242mg | Potassium: 125mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 63g | Vitamin A: 829IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 1mg