This Easy Low Point Fire-Roasted Tomato Basil Soup is the easiest soup to make-and requires only a few ingredients! This soup hits the spot any day of the week-and tastes amazing with a gooey grilled cheese sandwich! This is very delicius <3
1 Point® per serving
Nutrition Information: Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 74TOTAL FAT: 2gSATURATED FAT: 1gTRANS FAT: 0gUNSATURATED FAT: 1gCHOLESTEROL: 2mgSODIUM: 484mgCARBOHYDRATES: 14gNET CARBOHYDRATES: 12gFIBER: 2gSUGAR: 8gPROTEIN: 4g
PREP TIME10 minutes
COOK TIME35 minutes
TOTAL TIME45 minutes
- 1/2 Tbsp light butter ( I use Land o’ Lakes light butter made with canola oil)
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp sugar or sugar substitute*
- 1 ( 32 oz.) container fat free chicken broth
- 4 ( 14.5 oz.) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes ( I use Hunt’s )
- 1 cup fat free half and half, 1 cup skim milk mixed with 2 Tbsp cornstarch, or 1 cup non fat plain yogurt*
- In a large dutch oven or pot, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, basil, red pepper, salt pepper, sugar or sugar substitute, canned tomatoes, and chicken broth. Stir until well combined.
- Bring to a boil. Then cover and let it simmer for at least 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes. Divide the soup into 3 servings. Blend each serving in a food processor or blender-until puréed. Be sure to hold the lid tightly and with a hand towel to avoid getting splashed with the hot soup.)
- Repeat for the other 2 servings.
- Pour puréed soup back into dutch oven or pot. Stir in fat free half and half. Remove from heat and serve.
- Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and/or light mozzarella for additional points.
- Serve with tortilla chips, grilled cheese, Two Point Garlic Knots, as a side dish, appetizer, or by itself.