One-Point Pizza-Stuffed Peppers are a tasty, easy entree for weekday meals. Substitute carb-loaded rice with cauliflower rice. Each pepper is about 85 calories and two peppers are one point!
Course Main Course
Cuisine American, Italian
Keyword deli turkey, ground turkey, low carb, Low Points, pepperoni, pizza
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Calories 172 kcal
- 8 bell peppers, variety of colors
- 1.5 cups sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower rice, frozen or fresh
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1.5 lbs. ground turkey, 99% lean
- 1/2 cup mini turkey pepperoni save a few for topping
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, fat free
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cut off the stem tops of the peppers. Scoop out the seeds and remove the membrane (using a sharp knife).
- Using a knife, cut away extra bell pepper from the stem and finely chop. Set aside too cook with the onion and mushrooms.
- Spray coat a large baking dish. Place the peppers cut-side up in a large baking dish just large enough to hold them upright. (Prop the peppers against each other to support their position.) You may need a smaller baking dish to accommodate any of the remaining eight peppers.
- Using cooking spray to coat a large saute pan and cook the onions, garlic, cauliflower rice, chopped bell peppers, and mushrooms and garlic.
- Remove the vegetables from pan and place in a large bowl. Add the chopped parsley to the vegetables and stir.
- Using the same saute pan for the vegetables, add the ground turkey, stirring, browning, and breaking up the turkey while cooking.
- Add the Italian seasoning and keep stirring. When the turkey is browned and thoroughly cooked, remove the pan from the heat.
- In the large bowl, combine the sauteed vegetables, cooked ground turkey, parsley, and pepperoni (save a few mini pepperonis for topping on the pizza sauce).
- Fill each bell pepper with the ground turkey-vegetable mixture.
- Top each filled pepper with two tablespoons of pizza sauce , a few pepperonis, and one tablespoon of mozzarella cheese.
- Cook covered for 30-40 minutes until peppers are softened and cheese is melted. Remove foil and cook another 5-10 minutes until cheese is slightly browned.
Nutrition Facts: One-Point Pizza-Stuffed PeppersAmount Per Serving (2 peppers)Calories 172Calories from Fat 18% Daily Value*Fat 2g3%Saturated Fat 1g6%Cholesterol 46mg15%Sodium 215mg9%Potassium 576mg16%Carbohydrates 16g5%Fiber 3g13%Sugar 9g10%Protein 26g52%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.