- 6 large onions thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 6 cups stock – beef, chicken or vegetable (1400ml)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 – 3 sprigs of thyme Optional
- 1 pinch Salt and pepper as required
- Baguette Optional
- Grated reduced fat mature cheese Optional
- Place the sliced onions in a large saucepan / stockpot and drizzle over the olive oil.
- Toss the onions about so that they are covered in oil.
- Cook the onions over a medium heat for about 30 – 40 minutes stirring every 3 to 5 minutes. You are wanting the onions to brown and caramelize but you do not want them to stick to the bottom of the pan and burn.
- Towards the end of the cooking time you may need to stir them every minute or so to stop them sticking and you can turn the heat down a little.
- If you find that bits start to stick to the bottom of the pan, add a couple of tablespoons of water to the pan and use a wooden spoon to scrape the bits off the bottom.
- Once the onions are nice and caramelized, add the garlic and cook for one or two minutes before adding the white wine vinegar.
- Scrape off anything that has stuck to the bottom of the pan (deglazing). This adds to the flavour.
- Add the flour and stir.
- Add the stock, Worcestershire sauce and sprigs of thyme, if using.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and then cover and turn down the heat so that it gently simmers for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and carefully fish out the sprigs of thyme.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if required.
- Slice 5 x 1 inch pieces from a crusty baguette.
- Place the slices of bread on a baking sheet place under the grill/broiler until they start to toast. Turn and toast the other side.
- Remove the slices of bread from under the grill / broiler.
- Place one piece of the grilled bread into each of bowls of soup.
- Carefully pile about 10g of cheese on the top of each slice of bread and place the bowl of soup under the grill / broiler until the cheese starts to melt and bubble.
3 Points (Serve with a cheesy crouton for an extra couple of points.)
French Onion Soup | Weight Watchers
Amount per Serving
Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g